Come join us for a tasting of six Big Basin Vineyards wines for $25. Bradley Brown, the Founder and Winemaker of Big Basin Vineyards, will be hosting the event and available to talk about each of the wines.
- 2013 Coastview Vineyard Chardonnay, 2013 was our fourth vintage producing a Coastview Chardonnay and it was an exceptional one at that. A text book growing season allowed the vines on the North-facing terraces to ripen slowly and hang into the Fall without losing minerality and acidity. Reminiscent of a fine Meursault, the Chardonnay from this site expresses both a crushed rock minerality and beautiful texture that is the hallmark of the decomposed quartzite/granite and limestone soils of the vineyard.
- 2013 Alfaro Family Vineyard Pinot Noir, The 2013 Alfaro Family Vineyard Pinot Noir expresses even more emphatically the beautiful expression of place that made the 2012 vintage of this wine one of our best. Every aspect of the wine is simply more expressive as a result of this beautiful vintage. We included approximately 30% whole cluster with the remainder whole berry and fermented entirely with indigenous yeast. The whole cluster inclusion lifts the aromatics enhancing the complexity to the mouthfeel and texture.
- 2013 Woodruff Family Vineyard Pinot Noir, The Woodruff Family Vineyard is one of the most special vineyard sites in the Santa Cruz Mountains. The vines were planted over 35 years ago making it one of the older vineyards in this area. The sandy loam soils have great drainage and the vines are 100% dry farmed. Next to the vineyard is a strawberry farm, giving you an idea of the unique cool and slow ripening location of the vineyard. The vineyard is located in rolling hills of the Corralitos area at the Southern end of the Santa Cruz Mountains which are consistently cooled by fog moving in from Monterey Bay and often persisting through the late morning hours.
- 2014 Homestead, Our 2014 Homestead is fruit sourced primarily from exceptional vineyards in the Gabilan Mountains, with some Syrah and Grenache from our Estate Vineyard in the Santa Cruz Mountains. This wine receives every bit as much attention as our top cuvées and is fermented on native yeasts in the same 1+ ton fermenters and then aged in French oak barrels.
- 2012 Grizzly, In 2012 Grizzly is back to being 100% Estate grown fruit! Low Grenache yields during 2009 - 2011 forced our hand to include fruit from the Coastview and Antle Vineyards in the Gabilan Mountains to make a reasonable quantity of the Grizzly. 2012 was an optimal growing season and as vines are now well enough established, they produced what was the most abundant Grenache yield we had experienced to date. This gave us the opportunity to (finally) select only Estate barrels to craft Grizzly. Also in 2012, our Estate Vineyard becomes CCOF Certified Organic.
- 2012 Rattlesnake Rock Syrah, Our 2012 Rattlesnake Rock Syrah is a well balanced expression of the varietal. Black and red fruit abound, layered with smoked meats and fresh cracked black pepper. There is plenty of perfume on this wine, and the aromatics enthrall with notes of lavender and crushed violets. This is a wine that will really benefit from decanting or bottle aging for another 3-5 years, and you can expect this baby to go the long haul, peaking anywhere from 7-10 years from vintage.